tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Joe Sam Shirah" <jshi...@attglobal.net>
Subject Re: Tomcat vs. JBoss
Date Sat, 05 Apr 2003 17:41:32 GMT

    Hi Johannes,

    There is no Tomcat versus JBoss issue.  JBoss is a J2EE container which,
per the spec, includes a servlet engine.  The standard JBoss download
includes Jetty, but there is also one that includes Tomcat.  So the real
issue, if you want to have one, is Jetty versus Tomcat.  We've used Jetty
( with JBoss ) because it started life as an HTTP server, with servlet/JSP
functionality included as time went on.  It allows us to avoid the
mod_jk/connector business one sees all the time in questions on this list
and also avoids the Apache - servlet engine handoff; we've seen good
performance..

    JBoss is pretty much a full fledged J2EE engine, not just an EJB
container.

    The J2EE RI is not authorized for a production environment, so there
also is no JBoss versus J2EE RI issue.  See the RI license, which says:

    "for the sole purpose of designing, developing and testing your Java
applets and applications ("Programs")"

  So, the issue is between other J2EE application servers and JBoss.

    In any event, while it is my understanding that Tomcat 4.x and 5.x
versions begin to focus on performance ( anyone feel free to jump in ), the
J2EE RI makes no performance claims at all, being designed to show how
a J2EE server should work with applications - a *Reference Implementation* -
rather than mandate or perform any optimal internal operations.

                                                         Joe Sam

Joe Sam Shirah -        http://www.conceptgo.com
conceptGO         -        Consulting/Development/Outsourcing
Java Filter Forum:       http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/
Just the JDBC FAQs: http://www.jguru.com/faq/JDBC
Going International?    http://www.jguru.com/faq/I18N
Que Java400?             http://www.jguru.com/faq/Java400