tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Randy Paries" <randy.par...@unitnet.com>
Subject RE: How to debug servlets under tomcat?
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2003 13:47:24 GMT
Hello

I use intellij by idea

It allows me to to attatch to tomcat and step through the code.

It works great!

RP

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Baynes [mailto:kbaynes@seagullsw.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 8:17 AM
To: Tomcat Users List; mark@dolphtech.com
Subject: RE: How to debug servlets under tomcat?

Debugging servlets is kind of a pain. Using log statements is probably
the most straightforward way to do it, and is better than printing to
System.out because you can quickly turn it off/on. Go to
http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/index.html for more info.

Another (even better) option is to separate your business logic from
your servlet. Build your application/classes as though it were
stand-alone running from a command line with a main() method.

Example: if your servlet is taking a path sent from browser, grabbing an
XML file, converting it to HTML and writing it back out to the
response... then write a command-line class that takes a path to an XML
file, converts it to HTML and writes to an OutputStream - and just use
FileOutputStream instead of the Servlet OutputStream. Then you can test
that object directly from the command line, using the JVM's HPROF and
using JUNIT. Once it's tested and working, then plug it into the
Servlet.

~akb