tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mark Pease" <mpe...@chartermi.net>
Subject Re: TC4.1.24 and JDK 1.4
Date Fri, 18 Apr 2003 20:30:42 GMT
You may want to consider trying 1.4.0.  I was burned by 1.4.1 from a bug in
the StringBuffer object which was causing my applications to use up all the
allocated memory and trigger out of memory errors.  As soon as I reverted
back to 1.4.0, the problem went away and now my app behaves.  Maybe there
are some CPU usage issues with 1.4.1 as well?

Mark

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, April 18, 2003 4:23 PM
Subject: RE: TC4.1.24 and JDK 1.4

Howdy,
No thoughts.  We've seen similar behavior with the latest OS patches on
Solaris 8.  But I don't particularly care for CPU usage if it's not in
the high 90-percent range, so I haven't investigated further.  <puts on
waiting for Tiger hat>

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

JDK
>1.4.1 seem way out of whack.
>
>The host machine is a Sun E450, 2x400Mhz, 1GB RAM running Solaris 8.
I've
>set up the containers with 128MB of heap and they are not GC'ing during
the
>test runs.  I'm using the default 'Welcome to Tomcat' JSP as the test
>target (image loading turned off).  The test runs use 4 threads with
2000
>iterations each.
>
>Running my JMeter tests against TC under JDK 1.3.1_02 I see CPU
utilization
>in the 8-12% range (nearly identical to container X, if not slightly
>better).
>
>Running the exact same JMeter tests against TC under JDK 1.4.1_02 I see
CPU
>utilization in the 30-34% range!
>
>I'm still investigating whether I have any patch issues on the host
machine
>but other than that I'm stumped.  I'm at a loss as to why JDK 1.4.1
would
>be such a CPU pig.  I searched the archive but came up empty.  Anyone
have
>any thoughts?
>
>-chris

sender.  Thank you.