tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Marc Chamberlin" <ma...@easystreet.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat RMI and Eclipse
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 05:38:06 GMT
Thanks Jean for replying.. No, this complex object just contains a lot of ints, doubles, strings,
2 vectors,  and associated
accessor methods.  I tracked down what was being stored in the two vectors that this object
has, and one just contains strings, the
other contains a set of another complex object, (defined in the same package) but this second
object is also serializable and only
contains strings, booleans, and ints. So there are no references to an "Eclipse" object or
any other non-seralizeable objects or
unknown objects. All these class definitions are contained within the jar file that is registered
to the codebase for the RMI
server. Also all these class definitions are stored within jar files that are placed within
the WEB-INF/lib directory of the servlet
context of the Tomcat server.

It was a good thought though :-) but I am still perplexed!....  Marc....

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jean-Francois Arcand" <jfarcand@apache.org>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 7:53 PM
Subject: Re: Tomcat RMI and Eclipse

> Well, are you sure your complex object doesn't have any reference to an
> Eclipse object? I guess that's the problem. Since the missing object is
> not on the Tomcat classpath, then it is normal you receive that error.
>
> -- Jeanfrancois
>
> Marc Chamberlin wrote:
>
> >Thanks Chris for your thoughts... Hmmm there is no string "Group/Tomcat" anywhere
in my code, so maybe it is somewhere within the
> >Tomcat code?? I don't have the Tomcat source code, but guess I could download it
:-( and take a look see if no one else has more
> >info or a better idea....
> >
> >    Marc....

me a few pointers as to where to look for a

> >solution....  I am running the Tomcat 4.1.18 server on a Win2000 machine and am developing
a servlet which will act as an RMI
client
> >and makes remote calls to another machine. For the most part this RMI link is working,
especially for remote method calls which
pass
> >and/or return simple Java objects such as ints or strings. However, I have one method
which I call that passes and returns a more
> >complex object (which has been declared as serializable) and it is with this method
that I am having a problem/puzzler.

When I run the Tomcat server from within the

> >Eclipse IDE, and test out my servlet, everything works fine including all RMI calls,
and in particular the call to this remote
> >method to which I am passing and returning a more complex Java object!

this particular RMI call, to this method passing and

> >returning the complex Java object, I get the following exception:

prior to making this particular call. Why

> >this particular call works when Tomcat is running within the Eclipse IDE and fails
when Tomcat is running standalone has got me
> >puzzled! It does not matter whether I turn debugging on or off for the Tomcat server
either. I thought maybe there  could be some
> >kind of race condition but these calls all occur within the main servlet thread,
so I don't understand how that could be the
case.
> >Nor can I come up with anything that might be timing related.... I have also checked
all supporting Jar files and made sure they
> >were the same...  Any ideas on what else might be different between the Eclipse IDE
and the Tomcat standalone environment?