tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Sandra Patricia Hunter <>
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2003 20:07:28 GMT
Thank you all!
I am always grateful for the insightful and helpful answers I get here.
Things are up and running now!

Sandra Patricia Hunter
Systems Development and Web Design

-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Price []
Sent: April 7, 2003 12:56 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: CLASSPATH

Sandra Patricia Hunter wrote:
> Okay now I am really confused:
> If I put the classes12.jar files in the Tomcat_home\common\lib path,
> is that the path I include in the following? Would I say:
> tomcat.common.lib.OracleDriver or what?

My understanding is that Tomcat dynamically creates a ClassLoader by
traversing certain directories and loading the class files and JARs it
finds, so if your JAR file (or class files) are placed in the
appropriate directories, then you should not need to use path names when
referencing the classes.  That is one of the nice things about Java, at
runtime you can refer to classes without necessarily knowing where they
were loaded from, as long as they have been loaded "in" the ClassLoader.
  You just have to know the fully-qualified classname.

(Someone correct me if I have this wrong!)

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: