tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mark Pease" <>
Subject Re: Tomcat 4 as a service in Windows and Classpath Question
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 16:01:47 GMT
Here is some information on the program that creates the tomcat service in

----- Original Message -----
From: "Longley, Andrew" <>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <>
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2003 10:52 AM
Subject: RE: Tomcat 4 as a service in Windows and Classpath Question

What I've figured out is that you can hack the registry and modify the
java.class.path parameter.  Alternatively, there is a syntax for
installing the service where you can specify the classpath when you
install the service (or you could uninstall and re-install).

How to hack the registry: use regedit to edit key
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Apache Tomcat 4.1\Parameters\JVM
Option Number 0

(assuming your service is called "Apache Tomcat 4.1" and that your JVM
Option Number 0 parameter data begins with -Djava.class.path...)

Double-click the parameter and edit the classpath at will.

How to install a new service: open a command prompt and use syntax

%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\tomcat.exe -install "Apache Tomcat 4.1"
"%JAVA_HOME%\jre\bin\client\jvm.dll" -Xmx512m -Xms256m
-Dcatalina.home="%CATALINA_HOME%" -start
org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService -params start -stop
org.apache.catalina.startup.BootstrapService -params stop -err

(all on one line, and obviously modifying the -Djava.class.path to
whatever you need but not losing the bootstrap.jar)

If you install multiple Tomcats on one box as services, you will need a
different server.xml file for each to specify different ports.  I
*believe* the syntax for this is to edit the service in the Services
control panel, and add an "Additional Parameter" of the form
-config conf\server.xml

Hope that helps.  If anyone else has more good information, please add.

Andrew Longley