tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mark Pease" <mpe...@chartermi.net>
Subject [OT] Re: using Macromedia Flash and javabeans
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2003 11:41:32 GMT
Mike,

This is quite a bit to explain via an email... basically, with Flash, you
can either have it get data by using POSTs and GETs:

in XML format...
XML.load
XML.send
XML.sendAndLoad

in parameters format (a=1, b=2, etc.)
LoadVars.load
LoadVars.send
LoadVars.sendAndLoad

or by establishing an XML socket connection:
XMLSocket...

If you use the .load/.send/.sendAndLoad commands, you can simply use JSP to
write to and read from your Java Beans.  To do that, pick up a book on JSP
and start reading!  With this approach, Flash always has to initiate the
communications, whether it be reading data or writing it.

If you use the XMLSocket, you will need some pretty extensive Java code
running on the backend to establish and support the socket connection.  I
started with a chat application that I saw in a Java Servlets book, then
started hacking away so that it would work with Flash, and changed the code
to work the way I needed it to.  The advantage here is that either the Java
code or Flash can send updates whenever they want.

Hope that helps!
Mark