tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "mike jackson" <mjack...@cdi-hq.com>
Subject RE: Installs/deploys to... why?
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2003 00:16:13 GMT
1) $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/<war filename>

2) It is there, unless you have things setup strangely, and I'm not sure
that you can even override that anyway.  So it should be there.

3) I don't think it does, I think it scans the directory and looks for
them in the server.xml file (in $TOMCAT_HOME/conf) as well.

4) Typically (in my environment) you build in one place and install on a
test system.  Then you move to a production system.  So, what I do is
build on my laptop (and test).  Then when I think things are good I copy
the war file over to the test box.  Assuming no one finds things that
need to be fixed I can then copy the war file over to the production
system.  At no point do I do any changing of the files on the test or
production system.  All changes and debugging is on my laptop.

(4 continued) So for me what the war file does is package all of the
files for the webapp into a something that I can copy to the server(s)
without having to worry about any changes.  Also the war file is a
"snapshot" of the system, so it is a nice secondary way to keep versions
of the webapp.  Hopefully you're using some kind of source
control/versioning system, so it's not critical to have a backup (in the
for of a war file), but it's nice none the less.

(4 continued, last time) I hope that made sense.

--mikej
-=------
mike jackson
mjackson@cdi-hq.com

Instead,
> > it just mounts the directory which is the root of your just built
webapp
> > as a running context in Tomcat.  It doesn't send any file anywhere
and a
> > simple stop of Tomcat or the "remove" task gets rid of all traces
that
> > your app was even running under Tomcat.  It is *much* more
convenient
> > for development purposes than "deploy/undeploy".
> >
> > Jake
> >
> > At 06:02 PM 4/15/2003 +0200, you wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all!
> >>
> >> Why do the Tomcat 4.1 Ant tasks deploy and install put the context
> >> directory to <tomcat-root>/work/Standalone/localhost/<context>,
at
> >> least on my machine? Anything misconfigured?
> >>
> >> <property name="local.manager.url"
value="${local.root.url}/manager"/>
> >> <property name="local.manager.username"
value="${manager.username}"/>