tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jeff Roush" <springbo...@zianet.com>
Subject RE: Servlet/JSP Slow Startup
Date Sat, 12 Apr 2003 20:14:23 GMT

As a total newbie, I would have to say that you need a hardware
upgrade.  Try upgrading to a 512 K ram first and go from there.

-----Original Message-----
From: stronggrowth [mailto:stronggrowth@yahoo.com]
Sent: Saturday, April 12, 2003 12:59 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Servlet/JSP Slow Startup

Hi, I just installed Tomcat 4.1.24, and tried out the index.jsp.It
took 2 minutes for it to come up, same as for loading aservlet.
However, after the first startup, loading different jsp or servlets
were much faster. I am currently using Sun JVM 1.4 on a 500MHz
Pentiumwith 256 RAM, running Window 2000.   I setup two system
variables CATALINA_OPTS andJVM_OPTS, and set both of them to "-Xms128m
-Xmx256m".Are there any configuraitons that I have to do to speed
upthe startup time?  2 minutes for the first startup time isnot
usable. Any pointer or help is much appreciated.   Dennis