tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "mike jackson" <mjack...@cdi-hq.com>
Subject RE: IDE
Date Tue, 08 Apr 2003 17:04:03 GMT

-=-----
mike jackson
mjackson@cdi-hq.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Erik Price [mailto:eprice@ptc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2003 6:54 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: IDE

This is exactly the problem that I'm having with Eclipse.  I would like
to use the recommended directory hierarchy from the Tomcat Application
Developer's guide, which is also the directory hierarchy that my Ant
build files expect -- and regardless of an IDE's build features, I will
probably never use anything *but* ant for building.

But instead of simply opening files with Eclipse, I have to "import"
them or even create them in Eclipse in the first place.  This means that

from within an Eclipse project I have no way to see outside of the "src"

directory within which my class hierarchies exist, and I normally keep
my 3rd-party libraries (such as log4j.jar, etc) in a "lib" directory
that is at the same level as my "src".

Thus, as far as I can tell Eclipse prevents the developer from using the

recommended Tomcat source structure.  If someone using Eclipse can set
me straight on this, and tell me I'm wrong, and how to accommodate the
existing recommended Tomcat source structure, that'd be great -- I know
there are a lot of Eclipse users here.

To give some context of what I'm talking about, the source tree as
exported from CVS:

build/       <-- generated by Ant
build.xml    <-- my build file
dist/        <-- generated by Ant
docs/        <-- supplemental document files
src/         <-- *** this is the only directory that I     ***
   com/           *** can get Eclipse to see as a "project" ***
     erikprice/
       packagename/
          ..etc...
web/         <-- contains JSPs and HTML files
   WEB-INF/   <-- duh
     classes/
     lib/
     tld/     <-- contains taglib descriptors
     web.xml

Erik

Chin, Ed wrote:
> Is there an IDE that sets up the application architecture
automatically? For