tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "neal" <nealcab...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: XML problem with Tomcat 4.1.18 (but was ok in 4.0.4)
Date Sun, 02 Mar 2003 02:16:28 GMT
Thanks for the info.

I guess I'm just frustrated because my app broke when I upgraded Tomcat.
:-\

Neal

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:craigmcc@apache.org]
Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2003 4:36 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: XML problem with Tomcat 4.1.18 (but was ok in 4.0.4)

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, neal wrote:

> Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 13:59:27 -0800
> From: neal <nealcabage@yahoo.com>
> To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: XML problem with Tomcat 4.1.18 (but was ok in 4.0.4)
>
> Hmm.  I hear what you're saying but I would think that if Tomcat uses
> different forms of URL formats that would be a fundamental
> backwards-compatability issue.  Is this not a concern of the product?

No ... the "external form" of the URL returned by getResource() is a
private implementation detail, just as the fully qualified class name of
the class that implements HttpSession is a private implementation detail.
Just because you can see it doesn't mean you should rely on it.  The same
goes for relying on any other container-specific (or sometimes even
version-specific) feature that is not defined in the specs (like the
invoker servlet, or the ability to reload a webapp without restarting your
server, or tons of other things ...).

More important in this particular case is a fundamental principle of
understanding how java.net.URL works -- the mechanism that resolves a URL
can either be built in (the URLStreamHandler argument passed to one of the
constructors) or must be provided externally.  You cannot assume that
URL --> String --> URL transformations can be done without losing
information.

See the Java Tutorial's "Networking Trail" for more info on the URL
related APIs.

  http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/

> :(

Craig