tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jon Roberts <...@mentata.com>
Subject free servlet directory gateway w/ tomcat installation instructions
Date Sat, 01 Mar 2003 16:37:15 GMT
I am an independent software developer and consultant. Last fall I
released a free and open source software product that I think some may
be interested in. You can find out all about it at:

http://www.mentata.com/ldaphttp/

My central offering is a framework for building efficient MVC web
applications using web servers, directory servers, and Java servlets. I
deliver with it a directory gateway application that enables users to
retrieve, create, delete, extend, update, and link entries in directory
databases through web interfaces. It was developed in a contractual
engagement and is currently being used in a high-vis production capacity
within an mid-size enterprise. I intend to add some key capabilities in
the coming year, and will launch subscription web services of my own
design sometime afterwards.

I have now reconfigured the delivered software to be installed with a
.war file, and have included specific notes for Tomcat installation. You
can find this (and some commentary which *may* be of interest to you) at:

http://www.mentata.com/news/28Feb03.htm

I request your feedback on these installation instructions. In
particular, I want to make sure there is not a community or technical
reason for aversion to putting packaged software in the
[CATALINA_HOME]/shared/lib directory.

Most of my previous servlet engine experience has been with the
Netscape/iPlanet/Sun ONE family of web servers. However, in the interest
of open source I have migrated my development environment to
Apache/Tomcat to complement Linux and OpenLDAP. FWIW, I so far find
Tomcat to be superior in capability and support to the Sun offering, but
with some shortcomings in stability and complexity both with the
application itself and with the (still evolving) space of connectors. I
am committed to the approach overall, and will provide feedback and
support when possible. Thank you for any interest and feedback, and
please keep up the great work.

Jon Roberts
jon@mentata.com