tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Richard Sand" <rs...@vgalleries.com>
Subject Xvfb and Tomcat 4.1.18 tripping over each other
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2003 00:19:59 GMT
Hi all,

I've got a headless Solaris 8 workstation (Ultra 5) running Tomcat 4.1.18-
my web application does some image manipulation via AWT and renders a GIF to
the client.  To do the rendering I had to install the virtual framebuffer
Xvfb.

What I've found is that immediately after I've accessed the web application,
I can no longer telnet into the machine.  All other services are running
fine- ftp, http (apache), tomcat, etc.  Telnet answers, but no prompt comes
up, and then a few seconds later it closes the connection.

If I log on via the console over a serial port, and issue a 'kill -1' to the
Xvfb process, then everything works again, except that tomcat has then
crashed!  Nothing at all appears in the catalina logs.

Has anyone seen this sort of behavior?  I'm rather confused as to what is
going on.  Thanks for any help!

Best regards,

Richard