tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Sven Köhler <skoeh...@upb.de>
Subject Re: AW: modified jsp-files and jasper2
Date Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:04:12 GMT
> It can take up to 15 seconds (default) for Tomcat to poll for changes to
> class files.  The frequency of how often Tomcat checks can be changed via
> the Loader checkInterval property in the containing Context node.  Ensure
> Context.reloadable and Loader.reloadable are not set to false; they are true
> by default.

according to the docs, this config should do:

     <servlet>
         <servlet-name>jsp</servlet-name>
         <servlet-class>org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet</servlet-class>
         <init-param>
             <param-name>logVerbosityLevel</param-name>
             <param-value>WARNING</param-value>
         </init-param>
         <init-param>
             <param-name>compiler</param-name>
             <param-value>jikes</param-value>
         </init-param>
         <init-param>
             <param-name>development</param-name>
             <param-value>false</param-value>
         </init-param>
         <init-param>
             <param-name>reloading</param-name>
             <param-value>true</param-value>
         </init-param>
         <init-param>
             <param-name>checkInterval</param-name>
             <param-value>10</param-value>
         </init-param>
         <load-on-startup>3</load-on-startup>
     </servlet>

BUT:
5 minutes ago, i had a case, where it didn't work.
The page was uploaded an hour ago, but you still couldn't see the
correct page online. I checked the work-folder, and the jsp-page has
_not_ been compiled. the old .java and .class file was still there.

Hitting the reload-button in the manager-app always helps.

we also uploaded another update of the same page, and this time, the
jsp-page was recompiled, and we could see the new page - as it should
normally be.

The "reloadable" property of the context shouldn't matter, because it's
for the files in the WEB-INF-folder (it says, whether they can will be
automatically reloaded or not)

hitting the reload-button in the manager-app shouldn't help at all,
because the classes generated from JSP-files should be reloaded by Jasper.

Even if i'm wrong, it should always _not_ work, or always work, but not
like it is now: it works sometimes, but not always

> I am uncertain whether or not JSP files are included in this particular
> check or if there is another layer elsewhere.  But a good guideline is to
> wait for at least 60 seconds before testing newly uploaded JSP files.

You also tell me, that the checkInterval-Option of Jasper is completly
useless? and i would have to wait 60sec?

We waited more than 60sec, but it didn't work.