tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Sean Dockery" <s...@sbdconsultants.com>
Subject Re: File upload servlet won't run on IBM AS/400 but runs OK on PC configured identically
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2003 18:53:27 GMT
Hmmm...  I'm not sure that catalina can write to /tmp just because your
users can.  Try running this code before calling MultipartRequest multi =

FileWriter fw = new FileWriter("/tmp/hello.txt"); // (line 1)
fw.write("Hello World\n");
fw.close();

When you start Tomcat, what value does it say it is using for
$CATALINA_TEMP?  Try using that directory (instead of /tmp) for your file
upload.

Also, defaultFileRenamePolicy was initialized to be new
DefaultFileRenamePolicy(), right?
--
Sean Dockery
sean@sbdconsultants.com

"Patrick L Archibald" <Patrick.Archibald@HomeTelco.Com> wrote in message
> I've tried JVM 1.2 and 1.3. The public (meaning valid users) have all
> authority to the "/tmp" directory. This direcoty is Coded character set
> ID . . . . . . . . :   37. I tried another directory "/public/platemp"
> which is Coded character set ID . . . . . . . . :   437.  I don't know
> why the "L" prefix is in the stack trace. It has always been that way as
> far as I can remember.
>
> I added a sendMessage method using the jt400 message queue function. I'm
> getting messages now. The System.out.println and System.err.println were
> never being written.
>
> By using the sendMessage method I've found the statement it is blowing
> up on:
>
>      MultipartRequest multi = new MultipartRequest(request, "/tmp", 5000
> * 1024, defaultFileRenamePolicy);
>
> Any more suggestions? Is there something wrong with my statement above?
>
> BTW, the upload.war application that comes with the com.oreilly.servlet
> packages blows up too.
>
> Thanx, PLA
>

> Sean Dockery wrote:
>
> > I doubt the JVM is the problem.  What version are you using, by the
> > way? (java -version)
> >
> > There is probably still something we're missing in your root cause...
> >
> > What is with the "L" prefix on some of the class names in the root
> > cause message?  Ljava/lang/String?  Those aren't actually in your
> > code?  Are they?  The "L" and "IL" a probably an artifact of the java
> > compiler, but maybe do a search for "Ljava" in your source code--just
> > to be sure...
> >
> > There is also mention of a FileRenamePolicy.  Do you have "write"
> > permissions to the area at which the uploaded file is to be copied?
> >
> > AS/400s use EBCDIC (crazy IBM sticking to their own inventions)
> > instead of ASCII.  Could that be a problem?
> >
> > At 21:50 2003-02-06 -0500, you wrote:
> >
> >> No difference in common.  I've installed 4.1.18 and still getting the
> >> same error. Could the AS/400 JVM be suspect?
> >>
> >> Thanx, PLA

com/oreilly/servlet/multipart/MultipartParser.(Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServl
etRequest;IZZ)V+23

com/oreilly/servlet/multipart/MultipartParser.(Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServl
etRequest;I)V+1

com/oreilly/servlet/MultipartRequest.(Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletRequest
;Ljava/lang/String;ILjava/lang/String;Lcom/oreilly/servlet/multipart/FileRen
amePolicy;)V+148

com/oreilly/servlet/MultipartRequest.(Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletRequest
;Ljava/lang/String;ILcom/oreilly/servlet/multipart/FileRenamePolicy;)V+1

FileUploadDownloadServlet3.performUpload(Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletRequ
est;Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletResponse;)V+0