tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Oscar Carrillo <os...@daydream.stanford.edu>
Subject SSL and non-SSL webapps (Apache 2.0.44/mod_jk/Tomcat 4.1.18)
Date Sat, 01 Feb 2003 18:30:48 GMT
I am having a difficult time with what would appear to be a common issue.

I have Tomcat 4.1.18 with mod_jk connecting with Apache/SSL.
It works great, but I am having difficulty figuring out how to separate
SSL and non-SSL communcations.

Ideally, it would seem that the proper way for this to function would be
to have <VirtualHost> in Apache and they mount the repective webapps
directory (or none at all for inaccessibility) using the mod_jk connector
configuration.

But mounting seems to be global as far as I can tell. So that
http://myhost.mydomain/myTomcatDirectory/ goes the same place that
https://myhost.mydomain/myTomcatDirectory/

If this is not possible or very involved, maybe it would somehow be easier
to disable just that directory in Apache for port 80. I could not get that
to work either as it seemed to pass the request to the mod_jk connector. I
may have done something wrong there, but I tried to follow the
documentation with Directory directives.

If that had worked I could not use that same directory name for content on
the Apache side but that's not that big of a deal.

The other option I thought of was to do URL Rewriting in Apache so that
all "http://myhost.mydomain/myTomcatDirectory" would get replaced with
"https://myhost.mydomain/myTomcatDirectory". That seemed like a decent
option to, but the configuration for the mod_rewrite was a bear to try and
figure out. If someone knows how do something simple like I describe
please post.

The other option I could think of is to not have apache listen on port 80,
and then run another instance of apache with it's own config files that
would just listen to port 80. Seems a little awkward but I also had
difficulty getting a second copy of apache running.

A little enlightenment is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Oscar Carrillo