tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Paul Bothma" <>
Subject JAR problems with Tomcat 4.1.12 on Redhat 7.1
Date Tue, 18 Feb 2003 07:29:13 GMT

This is a two part question, although I think the problems are related. I'm
using Tomcat 4.1.12 on Redhat 7.1 and JDK 1.4.1 RPM. Tomcat starts up fine
except for the following errors:

The /admin context doesn't want to load due to the following error:

2003-02-18 09:00:34 WebappLoader[/admin]: Deploying class repositories to
work directory /usr/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.12/work/Standalone/localhost/admin
2003-02-18 09:00:34 WebappLoader[/admin]: Deploy class files
/WEB-INF/classes to
2003-02-18 09:00:34 WebappLoader[/admin]: Deploy JAR /WEB-INF/lib/struts.jar
2003-02-18 09:00:34 ContextConfig[/admin] Exception processing JAR at
resource path /WEB-INF/lib/struts.jar
javax.servlet.ServletException: Exception processing JAR at resource path

----- Root Cause ----- No such file or directory
	at Method)

The struts.jar file is located in /server/webapps/admin/WEB-INF/lib, not
sure if the part: /WEB-INF/lib/struts.jar to
s.jar, is correct though. I didn't make any changes to /conf/server.xml and
the directory structure has not been altered either, so I can't see why this
shouldn't work.

The rest of Tomcat works, for exaple the /manager context works fine, and
can be accessed via: http://localhost:8080/manager/.

The other problem is that when I try to compile some JAVA classes that I
wrote located in /HP/WEB-INF/classes using  the following command:
$JAVA_HOME/bin/javac -classpath $PATH_TO_LIB/servlets.jar
$PATH_TO_WEB-INF/classes/*.java, I get the following error: Permission
denied  (I'm running all of this as root). Then I did chmod a+x
servlets.jar, and then I get the following: Cannot execute a binary file.
The file location is correct, etc. I think there is something wrong with the
handling of JAR files, becuase I can't connection to a MySQL database using either. Doesn't give a ClassNotFoundException through.

Anyway, if someone has any ideas, please help.

Attached are the log files for the admin context and localhost.

View raw message