tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Chris Faulkner <christopher.faulk...@ntlworld.com>
Subject Clustering
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2003 08:55:15 GMT
Hello

I am looking at running a cluster of Tomcat servers running on separate machine behind a cluster
of web servers. I need the same session information stored and to be available across all
instances of
Tomcat - I can't guarantee that requests from the same client will end up at the same instance
of Tomcat. So here are my potential solutions. I'd really appreciate people's comments on
the stability/usability
of each, please ?

1. Use the Persistent Manager component, provided by Tomcat itself, with  a JDBC based store.
This looks great until I read that the implementation is considered experimental. What are
people's
experiences with this and how long will it be before this is considered stable ?

2. Write my own Filter which goes to the database and restores session stuff information for
a client every time.

3. Use JavaGroups (http://www.filip.net/tomcat/tomcat-javagroups-article.html). Looks great
but there is a single point of failure - what happens if the JavaGroups component goes down
? Does anyone
have any experience with this ? What is reliability and performance like ?

Thanks

Chris