tomcat-users mailing list archives

From p...@shareowner.com
Subject RE: Log4J and tomcat using Commons logging
Date Fri, 14 Feb 2003 18:23:49 GMT
According to commons-logging documentation, commons-logging automatically
search for available logging config, log4j, jdk, commons-logging, simplelog
etc. The idea is good. It makes life much easier using different logging
api.

I am happy with log4j so why switch?

Regards,

PQ

"This Guy Thinks He Knows Everything"
"This Guy Thinks He Knows What He Is Doing"

-----Original Message-----
From: Larry Meadors [mailto:Larry.Meadors@plumcreek.com]
Sent: February 14, 2003 1:14 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: RE: Log4J and tomcat using Commons logging

Hey Jim,

Can you help me understand your configuration so I can help identify
where the breakdown is? I am most curious about where all the jar files
are - common/lib, shared/lib, or WEB-INF/lib? Probably the best info
would be directory listings of common/lib, shared/lib, and WEB-INF/lib.

I suspect that log4j is being loaded to far up the classloader tree to
be able to find your configuration file when used through
commons-logging, but when you use it directly, it is loaded again by
another classloader that is able to find your configuration file. That
is why I was asking if there was a way to tell log4j to use the
properties file without relying on the class loader. I do not use log4j,
so I do not know what it can do.

Larry

>>> jim.collins@uk.nomura.com 02/14/03 10:38 AM >>>
Hi Larry,

I am not having a problem with log4j I deploy the log4j.properties to
myapp/WEB-INF/classes and it works fine. I would not want to have
log4j.properies in common/classes because I want to be able to configure
my
logging for individaul apps. The problem is if I use commons-logging,
this
SHOULD use the underlying log4j implementation and the log4j.properties
file
that I have deployed with my app. With commons-logging you do not log to
any
particular logging implementation.

Regards

Jim.