tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Brett Neumeier <brett.neume...@ualloyalty.com>
Subject RE: Where to put workers2.properties?
Date Thu, 13 Feb 2003 16:01:08 GMT
pqin@shareowner.com writes:
> Because jk2 is way too easy to setup, people don't believe
> that the jk2 doc
> is complete. I would say the documentation on build is incomplete.

The JK2 documentation is clearly incomplete.

Consider the following from
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jk2/jk2/configwebcom.html:

- the channel.socket section has "?" as the description for keepalive and
tomcatId.
- the ajp13 section has no description for tomcatId, route, group, level, or
channel.
- the lb section has no description for worker, noWorkerMsg, noWorkerCode,
or hwBalanceErr.
- the uriMap section is entirely devoid of content.

It would also be nice if there were some information on what, exactly, the
"shared memory descriptor" is for and why it is important; why it might be a
good idea to specify the location of workers2.properties inside the
workers2.properties file itself; and so forth.

As far as that goes, if JNI doesn't work at all on Unix, it might be nice
for that to be mentioned in the documentation.

On the Tomcat side ... (looking at configtc.html)

- The document says that the configuration file has a "default name" of
${jkHome}/conf/jk2.properties. How might one specify a non-default name?  If
you can't specify a name or location other than the default, why call it a
"default"?
- I am confused by the need to have a jk2.properties file for the tomcat
side of JK2; why can't this configuration be handled within server.xml?
- for channelSocket, what is "maxPort"?  Under what circumstances will ports
other than the one specified by "port" be used? Will JK2 bind to a range of
ports, and if so why would this be useful?
- what options may be specified for channelJni, if any? That section is also
blank.

If I could find this information anywhere, I'd be delighted to modify the
documentation and submit a patch.  But I don't know how to find the
information online, and I'm currently too busy on other matters to walk
through the code to understand how it's actually supposed to work.

Cheers,

Brett Neumeier