tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Brantley Hobbs" <>
Subject Tomcat/Apache/IIS configuration issues
Date Wed, 12 Feb 2003 22:23:30 GMT

Let me just say up front that I'm relatively new to Tomcat, but I do
know my way around Apache and IIS pretty well.

My Problem:
No matter what I do, I cannot sucessfully connect a webserver to Tomcat
using either the IIS redirector or mod_jk2.  I get HTTP 500 errors
(Internal Server Error) when I try to browse the examples servlet.

My configuration:
Tomcat Server:
 Dual P3 800
 Tons of available HDD space
 RedHat 7.1
 Tomcat 4.1.18
 Apache 2.0.44
 JDK 1.3.1 06

IIS Server:
 Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP3

I'm using the JK2 configuration files found at this URL:

Now, when I surf to http://localhost:8080/examples/ I get the expected
output, so I'm pretty sure that Tomcat is running fine.  When I do a
'netstat -l' I can see that something is listening on port 8009.

Looking thru $CATALINA_HOME/logs/catalina.out, I get this when I start
Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
Apache Tomcat/4.1.18
[INFO] Http11Protocol - -Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on port 8080
[INFO] ChannelSocket - -JK2: ajp13 listening on
[INFO] JkMain - -Jk running ID=0 time=1/52
[INFO] ChannelSocket - -Port busy 8009 Address
already in use
[INFO] ChannelSocket - -JK2: ajp13 listening on
[INFO] JkMain - -Jk running ID=1 time=1/7

When I surf to http://localhost/examples/ I get the 500 error.
Obviously, I get the same error when I try to connect from the IIS box
(which is not on the same host, obviously).

Here are my respective configuration files:
	# The default port is 8009 but you can use another one
	# channelSocket.port=8019

	# Define the communication channel
	info=Ajp13 forwarding over socket

	# Map the Tomcat examples webapp to the Web server uri space
	info=Map the whole webapp

I figure I'll wait to get the whole thing working on localhost before I
try to have an IIS box across the network try to use it.

Brantley Hobbs
Application Developer
Information Technology Outreach Services
University of Georgia

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message