tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Brantley Hobbs" <bho...@itos.uga.edu>
Subject Tomcat/Apache/IIS configuration issues
Date Wed, 12 Feb 2003 22:23:30 GMT
All,

Let me just say up front that I'm relatively new to Tomcat, but I do
know my way around Apache and IIS pretty well.

My Problem:
No matter what I do, I cannot sucessfully connect a webserver to Tomcat
using either the IIS redirector or mod_jk2.  I get HTTP 500 errors
(Internal Server Error) when I try to browse the examples servlet.

My configuration:
Tomcat Server:
 Dual P3 800
 1GB RAM
 Tons of available HDD space
 RedHat 7.1
 Tomcat 4.1.18
 Apache 2.0.44
 JDK 1.3.1 06

IIS Server:
 Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP3

I'm using the JK2 configuration files found at this URL:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jk2/jk2/confighowto.html

Now, when I surf to http://localhost:8080/examples/ I get the expected
output, so I'm pretty sure that Tomcat is running fine.  When I do a
'netstat -l' I can see that something is listening on port 8009.

Looking thru $CATALINA_HOME/logs/catalina.out, I get this when I start
Tomcat:
Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
Apache Tomcat/4.1.18
[INFO] Http11Protocol - -Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on port 8080
[INFO] ChannelSocket - -JK2: ajp13 listening on 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0:8009
[INFO] JkMain - -Jk running ID=0 time=1/52
config=/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18/conf/jk2.properties
[INFO] ChannelSocket - -Port busy 8009 java.net.BindException: Address
already in use
[INFO] ChannelSocket - -JK2: ajp13 listening on 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0:8010
[INFO] JkMain - -Jk running ID=1 time=1/7
config=/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18/conf/jk2.properties

When I surf to http://localhost/examples/ I get the 500 error.
Obviously, I get the same error when I try to connect from the IIS box
(which is not on the same host, obviously).

Here are my respective configuration files:
 [$CATALINA_HOME/conf/jk2.properties]
	# The default port is 8009 but you can use another one
	# channelSocket.port=8019

 [<server_root>/conf/workers2.properties
	# Define the communication channel
	[channel.socket:localhost:8009]
	info=Ajp13 forwarding over socket
	tomcatId=localhost:8009

	# Map the Tomcat examples webapp to the Web server uri space
	[uri:/examples/*]
	info=Map the whole webapp

I figure I'll wait to get the whole thing working on localhost before I
try to have an IIS box across the network try to use it.

Thanks,
Brantley Hobbs
Application Developer
Information Technology Outreach Services
University of Georgia
bhobbs@itos.uga.edu