tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Schnitzer, Jeff" <JSchnit...@maxis.com>
Subject RE: [OT] free Database with Transaction (Sorry for the noise)
Date Tue, 18 Feb 2003 21:21:59 GMT
"closer"?  Ummm, maybe, but still hideously broken.  If you're using
BLOBs from Java, forget both Oracle and PostgreSQL - their JDBC drivers
are horrible.  And if you want to lie awake at nights shivering,
desperately trying to clear your mind of a gastly, horrible vision -
take a look at the timestamp handling code in the PostgreSQL JDBC
driver...

PostgreSQL may be a lively project, but the JDBC driver is not :-(

I'm surprised that Firebird doesn't get more press.  It's a
full-featured database with a *good* JDBC driver.  In fact, it's one of
the few databases (commercial or otherwise) that provide a JCA driver so
it seamlessly plugs into JBoss.  BLOB support is great.  Runs with
production-level stability on just about any platform.  *Fantastic* GUI
tools (the IBOConsole is almost as nice as Microsoft's tools).

I've spent a lot of time developing with PostgreSQL, MySQL, Firebird,
and all of the big commercial RDBMS'.  Firebird is in my opinion not
only the most pleasant free offering to work with, but also better than
most of the commercial offerings (don't get me started on Oracle).

Jeff Schnitzer
jeff@infohazard.org

And

tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org