tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mike Jackson" <mjack...@cdi-hq.com>
Subject RE: JDBC & ORACLE implementation !
Date Thu, 20 Feb 2003 00:24:25 GMT
So, you don't really need tomcat per say to talk to oracle, you need your
servlets/jsps to be able to talk to oracle.  What type of data are you
working with and how big is it?  That's really the question to ask that'll
tell you what version of oracle to use.  If you using small data (standard
types or lobs) then any version should work ok.  But you'll want to be in
the READ_COMMITED transaction isolation mode (default).  If you're working
with large lobs (>25 megs) you'll probably want to be on 9.2.0.1.0 or better
(or a patched 9.1, but not an 8.x version I think).  And you'll want to make
sure you're using the jdbc driver supplied by the database, or one from a
newer version, the older ones with newer databases tend to cause problems.
Personal/Standard/Enterprise may not matter.

--mikej
-=-----
mike jackson
mjackson@cdi-hq.com