tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Filip Hanik" <>
Subject RE: Problem with ClassFormatError
Date Tue, 18 Feb 2003 23:07:19 GMT
Illegal Class name java/lang/Class[]

are you trying to load the name "java/lang/Class[]" as a class dynamically?
because there is no such class.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bryant, William []
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 11:44 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Problem with ClassFormatError

Hi all,

After some hair pulling I figured I'd better just email the list with this

I have a class that contains an array of Objects and another array of
Classes.  This class then uses java.lang.reflect to work its magic in
calling various methods on the objects in the array.  The code compiles
perfectly fine, but when I try to load this class at runtime, the class
loader throws a ClassFormatError saying "Illegal Class name

The weird thing is that others in the development team run this same code
without any problems.  I did some research into this but came up with no
answers, my guess is that it has something to do with the fact that the
class uses reflection, but I can't be sure.

I'm hoping that I am overlooking the obvious here, ANY help is greatly

For whatever help they might be, I am attaching the exception text, the
results of running 'javap' on the offending class and my server.xml (ccv26

My setup
JDK: 1.3.0_02
Tomcat: 4.0.3
Platform: Windows 2000