tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Filip Hanik" <Filip.Ha...@evant.com>
Subject RE: Preventing Session saving
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2003 21:46:37 GMT
I don't think you need the PersistentManager,
I believe you could also set the "path" attribute to null in the standard manager

Filip

-----Original Message-----
From: Sean Dockery [mailto:sean@sbdconsultants.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 1:44 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Preventing Session saving

 From the original server.xml file in Tomcat between <Context> and
</Context> tags.

           <!-- PersistentManager: Uncomment the section below to test
Persistent
                        Sessions.

                saveOnRestart: If true, all active sessions will be saved
                  to the Store when Catalina is shutdown, regardless of
                  other settings. All Sessions found in the Store will be
                  loaded on startup. Sessions past their expiration are
                  ignored in both cases.
                maxActiveSessions: If 0 or greater, having too many active
                  sessions will result in some being swapped out. minIdleSwap
                  limits this. -1 means unlimited sessions are allowed.
                  0 means sessions will almost always be swapped out after
                  use - this will be noticeably slow for your users.
                minIdleSwap: Sessions must be idle for at least this long
                  (in seconds) before they will be swapped out due to
                maxActiveSessions. This avoids thrashing when the site is
                  highly active. -1 or 0 means there is no minimum - sessions
                  can be swapped out at any time.
                maxIdleSwap: Sessions will be swapped out if idle for this
                  long (in seconds). If minIdleSwap is higher, then it will
                  override this. This isn't exact: it is checked periodically.
                  -1 means sessions won't be swapped out for this reason,
                  although they may be swapped out for maxActiveSessions.
                  If set to >= 0, guarantees that all sessions found in the
                  Store will be loaded on startup.
                maxIdleBackup: Sessions will be backed up (saved to the Store,
                  but left in active memory) if idle for this long (in
seconds),
                  and all sessions found in the Store will be loaded on
startup.
                  If set to -1 sessions will not be backed up, 0 means they
                  should be backed up shortly after being used.

                To clear sessions from the Store, set maxActiveSessions,
maxIdleSwap,
                and minIdleBackup all to -1, saveOnRestart to false, then
restart
                Catalina.
           -->
                   <!--
           <Manager className="org.apache.catalina.session.PersistentManager"
               debug="0"
               saveOnRestart="true"
               maxActiveSessions="-1"
               minIdleSwap="-1"
               maxIdleSwap="-1"
               maxIdleBackup="-1">
                 <Store className="org.apache.catalina.session.FileStore"/>
           </Manager>
                   -->

At 16:13 2003-02-05 +0100, you wrote:
>I'm running Tomcat 4.1.18 on WinNT.
>
>Is there a setting in the context, manager, etc where I can specify not to
>try to continue sessions if the application crashes/ is reloaded?
>
>My application can't serialize it's session data (doesn't implement
>serializable) and if the application is reloaded I get
>NullPointerExceptions. I think it's because the JSession cookie is submitted
>by the user again -- however the session variables referred to no longer
>exist and I get NullPointerExceptions. Any ideas?
>
>Cheers, Kris

Sean Dockery
sean@sbdconsultants.com
Certified Java Web Component Developer