tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Filip Hanik" <Filip.Ha...@evant.com>
Subject RE: Installing tomcat 4.4.1.18 on RH8.0
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2003 17:04:52 GMT
the easiest thing for you to do is to

1. download jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18-blablabla.zip
2. Make sure you have JDK installed and that JAVA_HOME is set and your PATH is set
"export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/jdk1.4.1" "export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH"

3. Unzip the zip :) "jar xvf jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18-blablabla.zip"
4. "cd jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18-blablabla/bin"
5. "./catalina.sh"

badabim badabom, you should be good to go

Filip

-----Original Message-----
From: Darren Edmonds [mailto:dledmonds@btopenworld.com]
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 8:57 AM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Installing tomcat 4.4.1.18 on RH8.0

I already have SDK1.4 installed and setup so I downloaded the binary
tomcat4-4.1.18-full.1jpp.noarch.rpm from the tomcat website and
installed it as root (on RedHat 8.0) using,
rpm -ivh tomcat4-4.1.18-full.1jpp.noarch.rpm

Appears to install fine into /var/tomcat4 giving warnings about I need
to alter my config files now.  I am new to tomcat so I checked the
RUNNING.TXT file and after reading it I am none the wiser!  I have no
/var/tomcat4/bin/startup.sh or /var/tomcat4/bin/shutdown.sh like it
says, althought I can start and stop the server using the scripts in
/etc/rc.d/init.d  I managed to fiddle about (after reading the logs) and
got something running, but when I connect to http://localhost:8080 I get
an error about no context manager.

Are there any comprehensive docs on how to setup tomcat under linux, or
can someone provide with a step by step idiot guide?

Thanks,
Darren