tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Web.xml mistake results in <Context> unavailable !?
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2003 14:26:02 GMT
Howdy,
Someone else already suggested workarounds.  Just thought I'd chime in
with my 2 cents (US): you're on a wrong track.  It is your
responsibility (or the responsibility of whoever packages your
application for deployment) to get the web.xml file correct.  It has a
clearly defined DTD.

I don't think tomcat should try to be lenient of errors in this file at
all.  It gives you the line number and column where the error occurs,
with a (usually) descriptive message.  IMHO, that's perfect behavior on
the server's part.

Fix it and restart the server.  If you have the manager app enabled, fix
it and you don't even have to restart the server, just reload your app.

Usually, the web.xml should have been validated in a testing environment
long before shipping to production.

To each their own, I realize, but as I mentioned above, just my .02USD

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics