tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Reynir Hübner <rey...@hugsmidjan.is>
Subject Performance .. Jsp compile import wildcards
Date Thu, 27 Feb 2003 15:56:04 GMT
Hi,

I'm wondering what kind of performance decrease (if any) it has to use wildcards in jsp import
lines.

example :

<%@ page import="java.util.*" %>

.. but not :

<%@ page import="java.util.ArrayList" %>

I know in normal java classes using wildcards when importing packages or classes does not
matter at runtime, but the compile time may take longer.

I also know it's a good rule to import the class but not the package and having the import
lines in alphabetical order may help some mainenance programmer to read from the source, later
on. So that's what I usually do, but in the case I'm working on right now it has some benefits
to go the sloppy way.

Please post your info,

Thanx
-reynir