tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Turner, John" <JTur...@AAS.com>
Subject RE: [OT] free Database with Transaction (Sorry for the noise)
Date Wed, 19 Feb 2003 12:09:18 GMT

Seems pretty straightforward to me:

"If your application is not licensed under GPL or compatible OSI license
approved by MySQL AB and you intend to distribute MySQL software (be that
internally or externally), you must first obtain a commercial license to the
MySQL software in question."

Many companies have problems with doing work under the GPL, internally or
externally.  I'm not saying they're right, and I'm not saying I agree with
them, merely pointing out that MySQL AB's restrictions might prove
prohibitive if the intent is to use MySQL without a commercial license.

I guess the lawyers could argue for a couple of years on the exact
definition of "distribute internally" (does that mean use once?  use more
than once?  use more than once but download a complete copy of the software
and do a full installation each time instead of creating an application
installer package? etc.) but sometimes it's much quicker and less cumbersome
to simply choose another solution.

John