tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Turner, John" <JTur...@AAS.com>
Subject RE: webpage & servlets !
Date Mon, 17 Feb 2003 13:31:08 GMT

I think you've got your terminology a little mixed up.

"Accessing them through the HTML tags inside the servlet itself" isn't
possible.

If you mean that your servlet generates HTML text that is sent to the
browser, and some of that HTML text refers to the page you are looking for,
then the URL needs to be a URL that the client browser can resolve, that is
something like http://www.host.com/myWebApp/somepage.html.

If you mean that your servlet is trying to read the file that is sitting on
your hard drive, using some sort of Java File object, then you need to refer
to the file in a filesystem-related manner, such as
"myWebApp/somepage.html".

In either case, you will get much faster (and more accurate) help if you:

1) explain exactly what it is you want to do, and
2) post the code that you've written that is trying to do it, and
3) describe the manner (URL) you're using to execute that servlet code, and
4) post the error message you get when you execute that code

John