tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Turner, John" <JTur...@AAS.com>
Subject RE: changing the IPaddress !
Date Sun, 16 Feb 2003 06:00:05 GMT

It is possible to have internal DNS without having to register any domains
with an Internet domain registrar.

Many organizations run an internal DNS that never touches the public
Internet.  As long as you have a server willing to serve requests for a
particular domain, and clients know to query that server for resolution, you
can have a functioing domain name resolution system, all without interfacing
with public servers.

John

-----Original Message-----
From: Chong Yu Meng [mailto:chongym@cymulacrum.net]
Sent: Saturday, February 15, 2003 11:19 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: changing the IPaddress !

Hello Swapneel !

In a typical scenario, your computer or server will have a name, for
example , www.swapneel.org. This DNS name will exist on a DNS server
somewhere on the Internet, and it would have been registered under
InterNIC (or Verisign now, isn't it ?). Anybody anywhere in the world
will be able to open a browser and key in "www.swapneel.org" and be
automatically directed to your server. If the server that is
www.swapneel.org runs Tomcat, the browser will be able to run servlets
and JSPs and display "www.swapneel.org/some_directory/some_servlet" in
the URL.

If you have not registered  a domain with InterNIC/Verisign, or if your
DNS record does not exist on the Internet, nobody can access
"www.swapneel.org" because, to all intents and purposes, it does not
exist on the Internet.

If you have a cable/DSL/dial-up connection, you may have a
permanent/temporary IP address, and I am assuming that you want to turn
that IP address into a URL like www.swapneel.org. Well, that isn't
possible unless you have registered your name with Verisign/InterNIC,
have a permanent IP address or a temporary address with a service like
DynDNS. In Apache, you can define the ServerName directive as
"www.swapneel.org", and it will return that URL in the browser when
people access your site using your IP address, but the next time they
key in "www.swapneel.org", they will get -- nothing ! Because that
server and domain does not exist in any DNS records.

I hope this clears up some of your confusion. As you may have noticed,
this is not a Tomcat issue, but a network one. If you have difficulty
understanding what I have written above, you may want to post your
question on a networking mailing list, read books on TCP/IP and DNS, or
-my recommendation- find someone in your organization who may have
worked for an ISP before. They'll explain how it works. There is no easy
way to explain this in an email. I personally had to setup 2 computers
in my office in my previous employment, setup a DNS server and show my
trainees how the whole process worked, and even then, they understood
with some difficulty.

Regards,
chong

Swapneel Dange wrote:

> john !
>
> i guess what ur saying is making sense to me like i should set up the
> DNS on my comp as mine will be the NATIVE MACHINE , which will be used
> to run the SRVLETS( so the idea of changing the DNS makes sense here)
> but when my clients will access the servlets from the remote machine,
> i am not sure what type of machines they wil be using so thats why i
> am not sure as to how can u setup a record for the DNS of all the
> machines in the world which will try to access the SERVLETS i am
> running here.
>
> can u explain me something on this issue !
>
> Swapneel Dange
> 505-642-4126
> http://www.cs.nmsu.edu/~sdange

---