tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Turner, John" <JTur...@AAS.com>
Subject RE: newbie installation problem
Date Wed, 12 Feb 2003 19:00:48 GMT

I learned in the pre-RPM days.  When possible, I avoid RPMs because I prefer
to set things up my own way.  This is a very poor analogy, but in my mind,
using an RPM is a lot like using Windows....it might work, you can see it
work, but you don't really know HOW its working.  While I realize that you
can inspect an RPM and determine what it does exactly when it installs, the
truth is the vast majority of people never do that...they blindly install
the RPM and move on.  I prefer to do things myself when possible, that's
all.  I'm not saying I never use RPMs, just that for things that are
critical services (like a web server), I prefer to install them myself.
I'll gladly use RPMs for things like XWindows, various libraries, minor
utilities, etc. but for major "public" applications I try to install them
manually.

Please do not take my comments as being critical of anyone who creates,
maintains, or uses RPMs.  That is not the case, quite the opposite.  As I
said, I use them...system administration would be chaos without some sort of
package management system.  There are just certain scenarios where I prefer
to do things the "hard" way, so to speak.

John