tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Turner, John" <JTur...@AAS.com>
Subject RE: Best Way to Connect to httpd 2.0.40?
Date Wed, 12 Feb 2003 13:26:23 GMT

If your machine has no development environment, you're basically out of
luck.  Apache modules are version-sensitive.  .43 and .44 are module
compatible, but earlier versions of Apache are not compatible with modules
compiled for later versions.

All of the binaries that I'm aware of are for .43/.44.

I do know that RH announced that they had backported all of the Apache fixes
in .41, .42, .43, and .44 to their .40, but I haven't tested it and have no
idea if a JK/JK2 binary compiled against .43/.44 will work with their munged
.40, assuming you've applied all of RH's updates.  My guess is, it won't.

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but the recommended
configuration is .44, not because of Tomcat and/or Tomcat connectors, but
because of the Apache fixes (including some security fixes) between .40 and
.44.  If your machine doesn't have a development environment, it sounds like
it will be a production server, so keeping current with httpd fixes is
probably the way to go.

John