tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Turner, John" <JTur...@AAS.com>
Subject RE: RH 8.0 Tomcat 4.1.18 and Apache 2.0.43
Date Sun, 09 Feb 2003 15:07:17 GMT

You can do this in Linux.

RH 8 runs a munged version of Apache 2.0.40.  Instead of following the
Apache versions (latest of which is 2.0.44), RH has decided to continue to
ship 2.0.40, but with all of the .41, .42, .43 and .44 fixes backported to
their 2.0.40 PROVIDED you have ALL of the latest Apache updates applied from
RH (most of which were just announced in the last couple of days).

>From the email updates I got from RH, it seems like they are still going to
call the Apache that ships with RH 8 2.0.40, which doesn't make a lot of
sense to me.  In any case, I ignore their's and install from source, but its
up to you.

John

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Holmes Jr. [mailto:tomholmes@attbi.com]
Sent: Saturday, February 08, 2003 5:27 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RH 8.0 Tomcat 4.1.18 and Apache 2.0.43

I got Apache 2.0.43 and Tomcat 4.1.18 working with jk2 on my Windows 2K
Advanced Server, and I got all the virtual hosts working.  I am now trying
to get SSI (server-side includes) to work though I followed all the
directions, but that is a minor issue for me right now.

I also have RH Linux 8.0 and it works great (I am a Linux newbie).   RH 8.0
already has Apache 2.0 installed, but I am not sure which version it is,
though I could find out.  It looks like the HTML files reside in
/var/www/html although thr server itself lives under /etc/httpd and not in
/usr/local/apache2

Now I installed tomcat 4.1.18 and with the startup script it works fine by
itself, and all the examples work.  I copied over my config files for
Apache2 and Tomcat and I just had this one question.

On my Windows 2000 box, Apache runs as an NT Service and the Jk2 properties
file is setup to run in-process ... hence all I have to do is restart
Apache2 with the Apache monitor and Tomcat starts as well running in the
background.

So, should I do this in Linux?  Should I run Tomcat first and then run
Apache afterwards?  If you can help me, or lead me to a helpful How-To or
web-site or web-page, please let me know.

Thanks.

                         Tom

---