tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Turner, John" <JTur...@AAS.com>
Subject RE: Help with Apache 1.3/Tomcat 4.1.18/JK?
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2003 03:02:29 GMT

Tomcat doesn't use the CLASSPATH environment variable...if you take a look
in $CATALINA_HOME/bin/catalina.sh, I think you can see where a CLASSPATH is
assembled on the fly.

John

-----Original Message-----
From: Webb Stacy [mailto:webb@stacynetwork.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 5:03 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: Help with Apache 1.3/Tomcat 4.1.18/JK?

>>I would just get that "HAVE_JK" stuff out of there 100%.  Never saw
>>that before.
>>
>>I can't think of anything that would break by just putting LoadModule
>>etc right in httpd.conf without the IF statement.  You've got some
>>custom
stuff
>>there (I am not familiar with "Virtuozzo")...is it possible someone
>>statically linked in mod_jk?

Unfortunately, I get the same results with the IfDefine HAVE_JK removed...
and httpd -l shows that only mod_core.c, mod_so.c, and mod_frontpage.c are
statically linked. My hosting company says that the Virtuozzo VPS is running
the default Red Hat 7.1 install.

I'm starting to think the secret is in server.xml somewhere.  (I didn't
realize that having a misconfigured server.xml prevents *both* starting
*and* stopping Tomcat! So lots of the things I was trying failed in the same
way because I wasn't really cycling Tomcat and Apache...)

I went back to basics and started with the server.xml distributed with
Tomcat.  This version had JK2 configured on port 8009, and the log file said

  INFO: Jk running ID=0 time=8/178  config=/var/tomcat4/conf/jk2.properties
  java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/hsqldb/Server
	at
org.apache.cocoon.components.hsqldb.ServerImpl.run(ServerImpl.java:197)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

So I commented out that Connector and uncommented the vanilla AJP13 one on
port 8009, and got this:

  ServerLifecycleListener: createMBeans: MBeanException
  java.lang.Exception: ManagedBean is not found with Ajp13Connector

So I commented out the JMX Beans Listeners, and now there are no
complaints...but of course JK isn't working, either.

Earlier Tomcat wasn't finding the ApacheConfig class, so it seems like there
are lots of classes not being found.  Any hints about where classpath is set
for Tomcat, or how I could force the issue to test my hypothesis?

Thanks once again for your patience,

    --Webb

---