tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Turner, John" <JTur...@AAS.com>
Subject RE: Why won't anyone help me out??
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 12:17:43 GMT

Steve, if you're going to post to a list, please get acquainted with the
concept of threaded discussions.

My first reply in this thread was not to you, but to the person known as
"jsp".

His reply of "live long and prosper" was directed to me, to my reponse.  You
can see this because he included my post in his (her?) reply.

You will have a LOT LESS frustration if you take some time and become
acquainted with the concept of threaded discussions and replies.  Just
because you start a topic does not mean every reply in that topic is
directed to you.  Just like a conversation in the "real" world, an
email/list discussion has the ability to go off on tangents.

You'll be doing yourself a big favor and help make your time MUCH MORE
effective and make more progress getting a solution as soon as you
understand that 1) not everyone hates you, 2) not everyone is directing
their replies directly to you even though you started the topic, and 3) the
people on this list would love to help you and have tried to so
significantly in the past but, like you, are getting frustrated.  A lot of
us are extremely busy, and we like to see our time being used effectively
and efficiently (we can help more people that way), and we get annoyed and
irritated when people submit posts that have critical or demanding tone,
implied or explicit insults and criticisms, and unreasonable demands,
especially if they do so repeatedly in spite of polite requests to stop.

Remember, this list is free.  Nobody is required to be here, and nobody is
required to help anyone else.  Getting adamant and abusive about not getting
help isn't going to help you, and isn't going to get you any progress.

Call me arrogant if you want, it's simply not the case.  I am trying to
explain to you how to get the most out of this list and help decrease your
frustration level.  As I'm sure others do, I just want my time to be spent
as effectively as possible...time is too valuable.

John