tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Turner, John" <JTur...@AAS.com>
Subject RE: IIS and tomcat 4.1.18 integration
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2003 22:19:52 GMT

JK = mod_jk (Apache) = isapi_redirector.dll (IIS)
JK2 = mod_jk2 (Apache) = isapi_redirector2.dll (IIS)

JK and JK2 are protocols for connecting a web server to Tomcat.

Tomcat has Connectors.  These are written in Java and accept requests from
various sources depending on configuration.  The typical Connector class is
CoyoteConnector.  CoyoteConnector can accept requests (and issue responses)
for JK, JK2, HTTP, HTTPS, and probably others.  You setup multiple
connectors (or just one) in server.xml depending on what you want to do.  By
default, there are two connectors configured in server.xml:  one on port
8080 (HTTP) and one on port 8009 (JK/JK2).  Note that those connectors do
nothing unless they receive requests.  The one on port 8080 receives
requests from web browsers, the one on 8009 receives requests from
mod_jk/2.so or isapi_redirector/2.dll.  AFAIK, none of the CoyoteConnector
JAR files are missing from any recent Tomcat distribution, certainly not a
binary distribution of 4.1.18.

As I understand it, because IIS doesn't have a conf file like Apache, admins
are limited to whatever configuration options are presented on the admin
dialog boxes.  Thus, the need for two files for JK where with Apache you
only need httpd.conf + 1.  The two files are worker.properties (tells the
worker where Tomcat is) and uriworkermap.properties (tells the worker which
requests should be sent to Tomcat).  I'm not familiar with JK2 at all, so I
can't tell you what files you need besides the DLL file.

Not many people have written documentation for IIS with Tomcat.  I have a
few bookmarked, they are for older versions of Tomcat, though my guess is
the setup is similar:

http://www.getnet.net/~rbarr/TomcatOnIIS/default.htm

http://www.vacodi.com/howto/tomcat/iisnt/index.html

Your intent to pray for success is a good one.  Not much effort is spent on
supporting IIS with Tomcat, for obvious reasons.  Frankly, unless you must
use IIS, you're much better off with Apache 2 on Windows, and you will get
all kinds of help and support for that configuration here.  With IIS, you
might very well be on your own, or it might just seem like it.

Once you get your configuration working, I'm sure people would appreciate it
if you took the time to document the process and create a HOWTO.

John