tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Turner, John" <JTur...@AAS.com>
Subject RE: [BULK] - Re: what is catalina?..
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2003 03:06:25 GMT

Thanks for the info!

John

-----Original Message-----
From: Justyna Horwat [mailto:justyna.horwat@sun.com]
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 9:29 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Cc: duncan@x180.net
Subject: Re: [BULK] - Re: what is catalina?..

I talked to the original Tomcat author, James Duncan Davidson, about the
name choice. He gave me a surprising answer. Here's a bit of history...

Tomcat was born in response to the need for an independant servlet
specification implementation. James wrote it hoping that it would
eventually be open sourced. He figured that since most open source
projects had O'reilly books about them that he should name it after an
animal. Essentially he was thinking of an animal that would go on the
cover of an O'reilly book. He came up with "Tomcat" since the animal
represented something that could take care of itself and fend for
itself. That's how he came up with the name.

I asked him about the jet fighter. James said that though the F-14 is
his favorite fighter, the name is just a coincidence.

Justyna
< Justyna.Horwat@sun.com >

Sean Dockery wrote:

>I would speculate that the Tomcat name is, as in, F-14 Tomcat...
>
>At a recent Sun Developer Days I attended, one of the presenters who
>was pumping the Sun ONE application framework talked about the
>framework's history.  Until the re-branding of the framework to Sun ONE
>blah blah blah, the framework was known as JATO--which stands for Java
>Assisted Take Off. That originated from the engineers who were enamored
>by the JATO acronym--which stands for Jet Assisted Take Off in USAF
>(and perhaps civilian airline) lingo.  The engineers felt that using
>the JATO framework would propel (pun) your project far ahead of your
>competitors.
>
>I wouldn't be surprised if the name Tomcat was similarly conceived from
>F-14 Tomcat.
>
>This is mere speculation; only the original Tomcat authors know for
>sure.
>:-)

---