tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Turner, John" <JTur...@AAS.com>
Subject RE: tomcat as a standalone webserver
Date Sat, 01 Feb 2003 14:05:11 GMT

Please search the archives.  This comes up almost daily.

First - if your web application works fine with Tomcat alone, and you don't
mind running Tomcat as root on port 80, then just use Tomcat and call it
good.  If you don't like running things as root on port 80, if you have
legacy issues like support for PHP, CGI and custom Apache modules, or a need
to load balance to multiple Tomcats, or a need for any other of Apache's
many, many capabilities in addition to support for JSPs and servlets, then
use Apache.

Second - yes.

John

-----Original Message-----
From: krip pane [mailto:jkrp123@yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, January 31, 2003 11:09 PM
To: tomcat
Subject: tomcat as a standalone webserver

Hi,

Sorry if this question was asked before, I'm a newbie
finding my way around still. Question is what is the
advantage of running tomcat and apache (as a
webserver)with some connector (such as mod_jk) as
opposed to running tomcat alone as a web server.
Also, is it possible to create virtual web servers
with tomcat similarly to apache.  I want to install
tomcat and give it an www.xyz.com name instead of the
default server name as the URL.

Thanks

---