tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Sean Dockery <s...@sbdconsultants.com>
Subject Re: Web.xml mistake results in <Context> unavailable !?
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2003 00:18:56 GMT
Yes, I was assuming that the manager application was enabled and
accessible.  Your original message did not specify otherwise.

One option you have...

   Look through the manager application source code to determine how it
causes a context to be started/reloaded.  Copy that functionality into a
separate application (if possible).  Because you control the names under
which a context is deployed, you simply have to have the student
authenticate in this application and you can determine (through database,
xml file, or property file) which context to start/reload.

Variation on the above...

   Write the application to handle requests for reloading a context with
the same process as above.  But instead of hosting the functionality of
starting/reloading a context, construct a request that include
authentication on the server-side to get the manager application to
start/reload the application.  For example...

/reloader/SignOnForm.jsp

   ...shows a simple form which accept the student's username and
password.  action goes to...

/reloader/RequestReloadServlet

   ...which authenticates the student, throwing them back to the previous
page if they fail.  If they successfully authenticate, construct an HTTP
request that includes authentication for the manager application.  From the
server, open the socket to localhost on port 8080, pass the request "GET
/manager/html/reload?path=/myapp" along with the appropriate authentication
data (BASIC or DIGEST) so you don't get a forbidden error.

   Users can then reload their own context without knowing the manager
application password.

   If you want, you can hire me to write this for you.  :-)

Another option I've heard of...

   Schedule a UNIX cron task (or Windows Server "at" task) which stops
Tomcat every hour on the hour.  Schedule a second UNIX cron task (or
Windows Server "at" task) that starts Tomcat every hour in the fourth
minute of the hour.  That way, students experience a maximum of one hour of
downtime.

One last recommendation...

   Teach the students how to validate their web.xml file against the DTD
outside of Tomcat so that they are less likely to end up publishing a
bunged web.xml file.