tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Arijit Mukherjee" <Arijit.Mukher...@newcastle.ac.uk>
Subject Configuring TOMCAT to work behind a proxy
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2003 15:19:17 GMT
Hi

I am trying to write some Grid Services (OGSA) which will run on TOMCAT
(version 4.18 - windows 2000) and access external web services (over the
internet). I am behind a proxy server. A simple java client can access
the web services when I set the system properties specific for my proxy
host and port - but setting the same inside the OGSA service doesn't
work. I searched the internet about help in running Tomcat behind a
proxy - and one solution was to define CATALINA_OPTS as
"-DproxyHost=<host> -DproxyPort=<port>" - tried it - but the same
problem - my request to connect to the web service times out. If I
change this option to -Dhttp.proxyHost and -Dhttp.proxyPort then there
are whole lot of errors when my OGSA services are reading namespaces
from the schema or wsdl files - seems like it is trying to get
everything onto the proxy server when I set -Dhttp.proxyHost and
-Dhttp.proxyPort.

Actually, I need to configure TOMCAT in such a way that it recognizes
the applications running on localhost and those that are on a remote
host. For remote host, it would go through the proxy, for localhost - it
wouldn't. It would be even better if it doesn't go to the proxy for
local addresses - like within the same network. I tries to do some
fiddling with the server.xml file - but couldn't make it work.

How is this possible?

Regards
Arijit

"And when the night is cloudy,
There is still a light that shines on me,
Shine on until tomorrow, let it be. "

John Lennon/Paul McCartney