tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Justin Ruthenbeck <>
Subject Re: Invalid JSP Error When Trying to View Source
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2003 20:25:33 GMT

John --

I'm not entirely sure what you're doing, but I'm guessing source.jsp is
supposed to return plain text of the jsp specified as the
argument.  Assuming you can correctly access:

without problems, then your setup is ok.  As for your source viewing
problem, since you're getting a jasper exception mentioning numguess.jsp,
it looks like Tomcat is trying to serve up that jsp instead of source.jsp
as intended.

Try changing the url to look something like:

In source.jsp, get the value of parameter jspsrc and parse it to
reconstruct the actual path of the argument jsp file.  This may not be
necessary, but I don't in general play around with potentially ambiguous
characters in parameters.  I'm assuming you already know how to locate that
file and get the source for it, so I won't go into that.

Hope that helps...

At 08:52 AM 2/3/2003, you wrote:
>Can anyone help me rectify an invalid JSP file error?
>I am getting an invalid JSP error when trying to view the JSP example
>source code through my browser.  After starting Tomcat, I am navigating
>from the Tomcat welcome/index.jsp page through to "view source" of any
>of the jsp examples( e.g.
>I have installed Tomcat 4.1.18 binaries on win2k.  I have JAVA_HOME set
>to my jdk 1.3.1_06 directory, and have NOT set any other environment
>The error comes back on a web page titled "HTTP Status 500 - " and the
>exeption contents are:
>org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Invalid JSP file
>         at
>         at
>         at
>         at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(
>         at

Justin Ruthenbeck
Software Engineer, NextEngine Inc.
Confidential -