tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jon Roberts <...@mentata.com>
Subject Re: new instalation missing startup scripts
Date Mon, 24 Feb 2003 16:02:29 GMT
Zachary Kuhn wrote:
> I just installed the 4.1.8 release of Tomcat via the linux binary RPM.
> However, when I go to /var/tomcat4/bin
> i have no startup scripts, only a couple jar files. The docs say the
> startup files should be there. Is there something
> I am missing?

The bin/ scripts are only found in the binary release. With the .rpm,
you launch the server using something like /usr/bin/tomcat4.

I wrestled with the rpm for about a week, and then took the advice of
everybody who responded to me and switched to the binaries. The
documentation is now much more relevant for me, and I have no complaints
about installation. I understand the convenience factor, but I would
highly recommend using the binaries over the .rpm version, which is
weird, undocumented, and prone to problems that the people on this list
can't help you with.

Jon Roberts
www.mentata.com