tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Chong Yu Meng <chon...@cymulacrum.net>
Subject Re: changing the IPaddress !
Date Sun, 16 Feb 2003 04:19:06 GMT
Hello Swapneel !

In a typical scenario, your computer or server will have a name, for
example , www.swapneel.org. This DNS name will exist on a DNS server
somewhere on the Internet, and it would have been registered under
InterNIC (or Verisign now, isn't it ?). Anybody anywhere in the world
will be able to open a browser and key in "www.swapneel.org" and be
automatically directed to your server. If the server that is
www.swapneel.org runs Tomcat, the browser will be able to run servlets
and JSPs and display "www.swapneel.org/some_directory/some_servlet" in
the URL.

If you have not registered  a domain with InterNIC/Verisign, or if your
DNS record does not exist on the Internet, nobody can access
"www.swapneel.org" because, to all intents and purposes, it does not
exist on the Internet.

If you have a cable/DSL/dial-up connection, you may have a
permanent/temporary IP address, and I am assuming that you want to turn
that IP address into a URL like www.swapneel.org. Well, that isn't
possible unless you have registered your name with Verisign/InterNIC,
have a permanent IP address or a temporary address with a service like
DynDNS. In Apache, you can define the ServerName directive as
"www.swapneel.org", and it will return that URL in the browser when
people access your site using your IP address, but the next time they
key in "www.swapneel.org", they will get -- nothing ! Because that
server and domain does not exist in any DNS records.

I hope this clears up some of your confusion. As you may have noticed,
this is not a Tomcat issue, but a network one. If you have difficulty
understanding what I have written above, you may want to post your
question on a networking mailing list, read books on TCP/IP and DNS, or
-my recommendation- find someone in your organization who may have
worked for an ISP before. They'll explain how it works. There is no easy
way to explain this in an email. I personally had to setup 2 computers
in my office in my previous employment, setup a DNS server and show my
trainees how the whole process worked, and even then, they understood
with some difficulty.

Regards,
chong