tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Patrick L Archibald <Patrick.Archib...@HomeTelco.Com>
Subject Re: File upload servlet won't run on IBM AS/400 but runs OK on PC configured identically
Date Fri, 07 Feb 2003 13:33:35 GMT
I've tried JVM 1.2 and 1.3. The public (meaning valid users) have all
authority to the "/tmp" directory. This direcoty is Coded character set
ID . . . . . . . . :   37. I tried another directory "/public/platemp"
which is Coded character set ID . . . . . . . . :   437.  I don't know
why the "L" prefix is in the stack trace. It has always been that way as
far as I can remember.

I added a sendMessage method using the jt400 message queue function. I'm
getting messages now. The System.out.println and System.err.println were
never being written.

By using the sendMessage method I've found the statement it is blowing
up on:

     MultipartRequest multi = new MultipartRequest(request, "/tmp", 5000
* 1024, defaultFileRenamePolicy);

Any more suggestions? Is there something wrong with my statement above?

BTW, the upload.war application that comes with the com.oreilly.servlet
packages blows up too.

Thanx, PLA

Sean Dockery wrote:

> I doubt the JVM is the problem.  What version are you using, by the
> way? (java -version)
>
> There is probably still something we're missing in your root cause...
>
> What is with the "L" prefix on some of the class names in the root
> cause message?  Ljava/lang/String?  Those aren't actually in your
> code?  Are they?  The "L" and "IL" a probably an artifact of the java
> compiler, but maybe do a search for "Ljava" in your source code--just
> to be sure...
>
> There is also mention of a FileRenamePolicy.  Do you have "write"
> permissions to the area at which the uploaded file is to be copied?
>
> AS/400s use EBCDIC (crazy IBM sticking to their own inventions)
> instead of ASCII.  Could that be a problem?
>
> At 21:50 2003-02-06 -0500, you wrote:
>
>> No difference in common.  I've installed 4.1.18 and still getting the
>> same error. Could the AS/400 JVM be suspect?
>>
>> Thanx, PLA
>>

>>> root cause
>>>
>>> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/http/HttpServletRequest
>>>      java/lang/Throwable.(Ljava/lang/String;)V+4 (Throwable.java:90)
>>>      java/lang/LinkageError.(Ljava/lang/String;)V+1
>>> (LinkageError.java:39)
>>>      java/lang/NoClassDefFoundError.(Ljava/lang/String;)V+1
>>> (NoClassDefFoundError.java:43)
>>> com/oreilly/servlet/multipart/MultipartParser.(Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletRequest;IZZ)V+23

>>> (MultipartParser.java:114)
>>> com/oreilly/servlet/multipart/MultipartParser.(Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletRequest;I)V+1

>>> (MultipartParser.java:94)
>>> com/oreilly/servlet/MultipartRequest.(Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletRequest;Ljava/lang/String;ILjava/lang/String;Lcom/oreilly/servlet/multipart/FileRenamePolicy;)V+148

>>> (MultipartRequest.java:219)
>>> com/oreilly/servlet/MultipartRequest.(Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletRequest;Ljava/lang/String;ILcom/oreilly/servlet/multipart/FileRenamePolicy;)V+1

>>> (MultipartRequest.java:148)
>>> FileUploadDownloadServlet3.performUpload(Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletRequest;Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletResponse;)V+0

>>> (FileUploadDownloadServlet3.java:293)
>>> FileUploadDownloadServlet3.doPost(Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletRequest;Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletResponse;)V+0