tomcat-users mailing list archives

From William Claxton <willi...@openasia.net>
Subject RE: webapps location
Date Thu, 27 Feb 2003 02:11:23 GMT
I think you are being a bit harsh on the fellow.  Here's why:

1.  A well-behaved application should permit the separation of user data
and application binaries.  This is essential to simple backup procedures
and avoiding data loss when applications are updated.

2.  Tomcat documentation does indeed explain that the parameter 'appbase'
may be changed, but does not highlight the fact that this causes the Tomcat
main page, documentation and test servlets to become non-functional.  There
are workarounds, but none are given in the documentation.

3.  The post by NGO XUAN asks if he can *both* stage his applications in a
place other than the Tomcat application folder, and also retain the
benefits of Tomcat's Catalina home.  I read this as saying that he wants to
be able to test Tomcat from time-to-time by going to the Tomcat home page.
The doc does not explain how to do this.

4.  In fact, the documentation misleadingly states that one may test a
Tomcat deployment, to determine that it is properly configured, by
accessing "http://localhost:8080".  This does *not* test the servlet
engine, only the Tomcat HTTP service.  When you change the appbase setting,
the HTTP service continues to work - but the context for example servlets
will break.

I think in fairness, you might recommend a solution to the question raised.
 I and others have asked the same question.

At 12:38 PM 2/26/03 -0500, you wrote:

>Howdy,
>RTFM.
>http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/host.html
>
>Yoav Shapira
>Millennium ChemInformatics

        Regards, Bill Claxton [williamc@openasia.net]
        OpenAsia Solutions provides streaming media & payment solutions.
        Check out http://www.openasia.net