tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Steven Shand <ste...@intrallect.com>
Subject JNDI DataSource problems..
Date Thu, 27 Feb 2003 21:48:07 GMT
I've set up a JNDI DataSource by following the instructions in the
tomcat docs how-to.
The good news is that everything works fine when the application is
running.

However...

When trying to run some tests we've written, we get the following error:

javax.naming.NoInitialContextException: Need to specify class name in
environment or system property, or as an applet parameter, or in an
application resource file...

The tests are not being run in the servlet environment so I'm guessing
this is where my problem is. My servlet tests which access the same
database code work fine. Presumably because they are running inside the
container.

I don't know enough about JNDI to work this out. I would have thought
that a resource which is set up by the servlet container ( tomcat )
would be available outside the container?

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

OS X
MySql 4
Connector/J 3 jdbc driver
Tomcat 4.1.18