tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "PELOQUIN,JEFFREY (HP-Boise,ex1)" <jeffrey.peloq...@hp.com>
Subject RE: Apache-Tomcat-HPUX Problems
Date Mon, 10 Feb 2003 15:30:57 GMT
Eric,

We have been using apache/tomcat on HP-UX for over a year and have not had
any problems compiling any version of apache.  Because of compilation issues
with mod_jk we used mod_webapp instead of mod_jk but now that HP has
released their version of Apache with mod_jk13 bundled in, we are in the
process of migrating.

The latest download can be found at

http://www.software.hp.com/cgi-bin/swdepot_parser.cgi/cgi/displayProductInfo
.pl?productNumber=HPUXWSSUITE

I have not as yet installed this update but I have used the previous release
and integration with tomcat went smooth.  Note they have tomcat 4.1.12 as
part of this package  but you can use you can use any version of tomcat.
Just modify the provided mod_jk files accordingly.

Using the HP-UX version provided by HP may solve your problems

Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: Roberts, Eric [mailto:Eric.Roberts@one.at]
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2003 7:49 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Apache-Tomcat-HPUX Problems

Hi,

Does anybody on the list run under HPUX?

We are running:

HP-UX B.11.00 U 9000/800 (tb)
Tomcat 4.1.18
Apache 1.3.24
Oracle 8.1.7

Tomcat and Apache communicate via mod_jk.

We use DBCP to provide a global Db connection pool.

Everything works fine.

We are running Apache only because we wish to use it for loadbalancing to
multiple Tomcat instances.

Here is the problem:

At first we tried installing Apache 2.0.44 - but we got compiler warnings
and when we try to start it we get core dumps. We can build and run Apache
1.3.24.

The mod_jk.so was compiled from the Tomcat 3.3.1a source, as this had some
specific HPUX build instructions.

As I say, in normal operation, everything is fine, but with loadbalancing
enabled, if I drop the first instance of Tomcat, Apache coredumps as soon as
a browser request is received. The Apache error log shows that the child
process (mod_jk) caused the fault.

I believe this is all to do with the DSO support of HPUX (we compiled with
GNU compiler).

Anybody out there on HPUX who can shed some light?

Thanks

Eric Roberts