tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Steve Guo <>
Subject RE: running servlet on Tomcat
Date Tue, 25 Feb 2003 14:56:25 GMT

I do not fully understand why they disable the servlet invoker by default. In general, Tomcat
is used for learning purpose. Having to modify web.xml for each webapp seems a lot of work.
You refered to FAQ, but when I tried to get it from the list server, I got,
FAQ - Frequently asked questions of the
list. None available.

Where is the FAQ?

Thanks, Steve

 "Turner, John" <> wrote:
This is a FAQ.

By default, the Invoker servlet is disabled for everything but the /examples
webapp for security reasons. It really shouldn't be enabled for the
/examples webapp, either, but I'm sure that's a low priority for the dev

If you want your servlet to be available, you need to either:

- enable the Invoker servlet (not recommended)

- explicitly map your servlet in web.xml using servlet and servlet-mapping

Check the docs, check the release notes for more info.