tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jens Skripczynski <skr...@myrealbox.com>
Subject [OT] How to quote ? !
Date Tue, 25 Feb 2003 12:18:13 GMT
Hi,

I'm used to a different kind of quoting than i see here quiet often.

If i answer an email i do quote the whole original message with '> ',
delete unrelevant parts, and write my answer _under_ the relevant parts,
i want to put an answer to.

--------------------- e.g. ------------------
> some relevant text
my answer
--------------------- e.g. ------------------

Here I have often seen:
--------------------- e.g. ------------------
my answer
--------- full quote off previous messages ----
the prevoius messagess
--------- end message                      ----
--------------------- e.g. ------------------

This makes it hard to read, because we read from left to right and
from top to bottom.

So in the second example I have the answer and then try to investigate
the question from the whole previous messages. Especially having a 3
line answer and a 50 line full quote. Well for my part, i do not investigate
the question, nor evaluate the answer because it is very time consuming.

Next thing is that the second kind of quoting is not economic regarding the
traffic it causes and the information that a full quote adds to any answer
(since everybody on this list recieves every email, so iff there are questions
concerning an older message, they can look it up).

Maybe some of you could rethink your kind of quoting.

Ciao

Jens Skripczynski
--
E-Mail: skripi(at)myrealbox(dot)com

Technology is a constand battle between manufacturers producing bigger and
more idiot-proof systems and nature producing bigger and better idiots.
                                -- Slashdot signature